Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Living beyond Mediocre Christianity

This blog is an attempt to guide and direct. For many years, I have talked with people who, although they are sincere, seem to have little clue as to what Christianity is all about. You may ask "why do you think that you have all the answers?" This blog is not an attept to claim that I have all the answers. This blog came from the sincire desire to help people find their way. I heard it said that it is less important that a debate prove one person or the other right or wrong, but what is important is to find out what is right or wrong. So many people, when asked about their eternity, didn't have an answer for where their future leads.
What does it really mean to be a Christian? Growing up in a "Christian" home, I was taught a certain set of guidelines that led me to believe there were certain precise criteria that must be met in order to be called a Christian. In my short 45 years, I have discovered that each of us has a different set of historical circumstances that guide our thinking and establish our personal criteria. Therefore, what I think has as much or as little worth as what anyone else may think.
Can each of us be completely correct or even a little correct? Can each of us be completely incorrect or partially incorrect? If I or anyone else can possibly have a skewed view of what it really means to be a Christian, then is it not absolutely essential that we put aside our opinions, regardless how fact-based they may seem, and search for the truth? Is it not true that truth will stand up to questioning? If what we believe cannot be questioned then should we not question its lack of ability to be questioned?
I cannot cover everything in one blog, therefore, this will be a continuing investigation of truth. I am a science teacher, and scientists try to find the truth by questioning everything and trying to disprove their hypothesis. Thomas Edison had to find out what would not make a light bulb work before finding what would work. He is quoted as saying "I have not failed. I have found 10,000 ways that wont work."
Let us first look at a few of the beliefs that pervade our society. It would seem that there are a number of definitions that must first be established in order to create a "base camp" from where we will begin each of our explorations into the subject of living beyond mediocre Christianity. What is Christianity? How does a person become a Christian? Why should someone become a Christian?
After I read the book A Case For Christ by Lee Strobel, I decided to use his techniques to investigate the subject of what a Christian is and how a person becomes a Christian.

5 comments:

  1. I think a great many people confuse "religion" with "Christianity." The simplest explanation I've ever heard about it is that "religion is Man's attempt to have a relationship with God, while Jesus was God's evidence of His desire for relationship with us." To me. . .it comes down to simple relationship. If I follow a bunch a rules and live an upstanding life but have no relationship. . .then its nothing but works. But if I'm in relationship with Christ, then the works come easily, and with integrity as a GIFT, and not b/c I'm trying to earn something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to understand the scripture that states "...narrow is the path and few there are who find it...". So many people are doing church or having church or going to church, but it seems that few have found the path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the same book, and it changed my perspective completely. Strobel had an advantage in his research that some of us "Christians" don't have and that is an unbiased playing field. He went into his research with no preconceived notions about what was fact or fiction. His mind wasn't clouded by the notions that most Christians have, be it Alcohol,tattoos, the way they dress, makeup, whatever...He began with a blank slate and let the truth of Christ win his heart. Since reading the book I have attempted to do the same. I believe that is what you are trying to do here and I look forward to the rest of your journey. -Love your babygirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm I think a Christian is a repentant believer, end of my description. The thief on the cross didn't even have time to make any changes, he just professed, died and went. Christianity is the only religion where we start with a redeemed soul and the persons personal redemption follows. This causes much grief because Christianity get mistakenly burdened with the weights of all other religions

    ReplyDelete
  5. True. But is it being a repentant believer if we keep doing the same thing over and over? Repent means to turn 180 degrees in the opposite direction and go the other way. How many people have we heard say the are christians although they are still living a sinful lifestyle? They claim they got saved when they were young and that should suffice. I had a Baptist friend tell me that Jesus died for his sins (Past, present, future) and he doesnt "need to get saved all over again". I submit that we are only being saved. "He who endures to the end, shall be saved."

    ReplyDelete