Thursday, December 2, 2010

OH MY GOD!

What's with people who chastise others for using the phrase "Oh my god!"? I have heard people correct others for the use of this phrase with the admonition of "You should never use the Lord's name in vain." Really? Are you that uninformed? As you know, My name is Michael. I am a teacher. My name is not teacher, nor do my students call me "teacher". They call me by my name. God's name is YHVH. To some, that is translated as Yahweh, while to others it is Jehovah. His title is God, but not his name. Furthermore, some religions believe that the name of God is to be reverenced and protected from vain use to the extent that they are careful not to speak the name except in very religious circumstances. When someone says the name "Jesus Christ" as a swear, I agree that this is using the Lord's name in vain.

Mote and Beam, brothers and sisters, mote and beam. What ever happened to "2 Timothy 2:15 (New Living Translation) Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.

I could be wrong. But at least I err in trying to figure it out. I figure that has to be an improvement on taking what I am told and just passing it on without further research.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I got a problem with "OMG" and all the rest. Do I suppose they are Buddhists’? Usually not and they're usually not... If we would be a professed Christian then who are you speaking of? What name or lack of do you use in prayer? Where's the reverence in skating by on a technicality? If I am in your presence as we are in Gods and I use your name in a negative light then how would you feel?
    Bottom line; there are no other gods before God. And that God wants everyone to know His name is the one that saves and holds eternity in place by His word, lest people think they might find God elsewhere...
    Of course in the grand scheme of things I got bigger fish to fry but since you posted...
    love ya mike-damn-it.. see I didn't use caps... couldn't be you..
    yes it was low... still love ya though… hope you get to edit like WP does..

    ReplyDelete