Saturday, January 22, 2011

TRUTH, CALLING AND ANNOINTING

      http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3813670937/

       John Wayne has always been one of my favorite actors. He always portrayed the kind of guy that I would like to be; tough but fair, strong yet gentle. As John Bernard Books, in The Shootist he said "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." When he was of a mind, he could kick butt with the best of them.
       When I read the Bible, I tend to be pulled to characters who fall into the same category. David and his Mighty Men (the "Dirty Dozen" of the old Testament, right?) are recorded as having such exploits that their story would make a great action/thriller movie. The Bible records where each of them would find themselves in a bad situation and the Holy Spirit would anoint them and there they go...they would fight and fight, usually against great odds, while all the while being poorly armed. They would defeat a bunch of highly trained, motivated soldiers and then move on (some might say that they "kicked butt and took names").
       Then comes Shamgar. This Old Testament hero wiped the floor with 600 soldiers, with the anointing of the holy spirit. Wow! All he had was an ox goad (8 ft pointy stick) and his God...and that would suffice.
       So, why is it that we have people in church who seem to misunderstand this very simple biblical concept: If God anoints you to do something, then you will be awesome? People make silly comments like "She can't sing very well, but isn't her singing anointed?" or "Pastor Mike. That choir may be well rehearsed, but we are anointed!" They were awful! Also, I am also reminded, when people want to justify allowing a soloist who can't carry a tune in a bucket, that "The Bible says to 'Make a joyful noise'." How often that is misquoted, and out of context.
       People often covet gifts that they do not posses. They fail to realize that God does not bless all of his children with the same gifts and talents. We aren't all arms in this body, you know. So many lust after the position of vocal chords, though. I have to remind people that if God calls you to do something then he will also equip you to do that something. Therefore, common sense dictates that if he has not equipped, then maybe he has not called. I once was asked to organize a youth praise band, as I am both a musician and singer. I started off our first meeting with "If you are called to sing, then you will sing. If you are not called to sing, then we need to find where your gifts and talents lie and help you to develop them in that area of ministry." I was not allowed to tell these interested teens that they could not sing. Instead, I was instructed to give them a dead microphone, so we did not offend them or their parents. (Remember the Andy Griffith episode where Barney was given the dead mic and someone else sang from back stage?) Needless to say, but I will anyway, I would not do it. How can I, as a professing Christian, lie to these kids and their parents? What happened to "Speak the truth, in love?" Wouldn't it make sense that if we taught people that we would tell them the truth, even if it hurt, that they could always trust us to be honest. If not, would we not teach our congregations to suspect our honestly?
       There are many things that I lack the knowledge and skills to accomplish. I truly believe that an intelligent person knows what they don't know. Therefore they know what they need to learn to avoid ignorance. If God has not given me the talent to sing, then I should not ask to be a soloist. If he has not called me to preach, then I should avoid the pulpit. (Following this line of reasoning, some folks might argue that I shouldn't blog.) After all, we wouldn't allow someone with no musical ability to play the piano for Sunday morning worship service, would we? Shouldn't we take a look at all the qualified candidates (believers with talent) and choose the best. If my savior was to physically walk down the aisle and sit in the front row, this Sunday, I would want our best musicians and singers on the praise and worship team. I would want to please the boss, so to speak.
       John Wayne's J.B. Books said that he treated people the way he expected to be treated. Sound familiar?


Afterthought: Can anyone give me the scripture reference for "Blessed are the tithe payers, for they shall be coddled and appeased"?
    

No comments:

Post a Comment