Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Latest Epiphany

       Aug 13...I have heard people talk about longing for heaven. OK, it was always old people. I have even heard and sung the songs that speak of that longing. As a Christian, I have always viewed that longing as a distant longing. As I pray last night, I had the same emotions that I felt when I left home for basic military training. There was a time, during those days, that I ached for home. I was so homesick that I even cried with the despair of knowing that I was in a place far removed from home. Everything within me cried out to go home. Last night, for the first time in over 27 years, I felt the same feelings; the same emotions. They were so strong that, as I stood in my kitchen, I cried to God, "I want to come home!" It surprised me, somewhat to even feel this way, much less voice it. The thought of seeing my family drift further and further from God is heart-breaking. To know that out of all of the family that I grew up with I am the only one that even attends church, is difficult to accept (to those that would hear this with the wrong voice, I am not saying that I am better than them, just that they have left the path that they once traveled, for alternate paths). To know that my own sons may have less of a relationship with Christ than their parents and that statistically their children will have less and theirs even less is hard to watch. Now, I guess I should say, at this point that this doesn't mean that I would ever take my own life. Never! I still maintain that suicide is self-murder and sends us to Hell. What I think that I am saying is this: I am not afraid to die. I can enjoy life without fear. With anticipation and hope, even. Looking forward to the day that I am called home. I don't have to say "I can't do that because it's too dangerous." or "I can't get a motorcycle because I might get killed." When God calls me home, I am ready. Whether I want to go or not is irrelevant. Nothing I could do can change a thing, when he says that it is my time to board that train to glory. So why fear? If I find out that I have cancer, I will ask to be prayed for by the prayer warriors of my church, but I will request that they not pray for healing. Instead, I will ask that they pray for God's will in my life. Think about it...if that is my ticket home, then why pray to miss that chance? If God wants me to live on and work for him some more, then he will heal me in order for that to happen. I have relinquished my rights to him when I "gave my life to him." (wow! That cliche makes sense now). I am actually looking forward to him saying "Alright Michael, time's up. Let's go." I just remembered a scripture near the end of the book of Revelation. John says that Jesus states that he will return quickly and John responds with an invitation, "Come, Lord, quickly." I finally get it!
       I will live my life in an attempt to please God, my father, more and more. I will serve him while I am waiting. I will not be slack concerning the mission he has given me. But all the while, I will be longing for my home-going. I will not be completely satisfied with where I am until I am home. As a servant (slave), I cannot decide the date or the time. I have to be faithful with the job the master has given me until he returns and rewards is servants, whom he loves.

Sept 13 update
       My teaching has changed. I see a bigger picture. I am uninhibited by fear of offending and I have found a more fervant passion. It is not enough to be a follower of Christ, and to ensure my path is right, I must include others.
       I have stated this before, but it bears repeating...I am convienced that many "christians" either don't believe that hell is a real possibility or they simply don't care. How many of us fail to rescue the perishing? How many are reactive christians instead of proactive followers of Christ? How many follow the creed of "easybelievism" that says that grace covers all our unrepented sins and we don't have to change? Oh how Satan must get a good ol' belly laugh when he sees his plans working. When people repeat, even from the pulpit, the heretical teaching that says we need not repent (turn from our sins) as long as we are sorry for our sins, we set up a system that has failed us even before we get started.



1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right - it is *not* enough to simply be a follower. We must also be including others in our pursuit to better, greater things. I think the problem a LOT of churches have is that they don't know how to include others in the pursuit of Christ. They're confident in their teaching (and rightly so) and they're confident in their programs, and they're *comfortable.* It is very hard for many churches to allow others to come alongside them in the journey. They're happy to lead, to show the way, but many people in the body have the attitude that "you can't walk beside me until you do x, y, or z." Jesus had no problem walking along side the outcast. He said to them, "Come with me."

    John Wimber summed it up quite nicely when he said, "Everybody gets to play."

    ReplyDelete