Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Plummet, Splat, Heaven

       So…I had what many people might think is a really weird thought. If you were standing on top of a really high building, bridge or mountain cliff and you slipped and fell over the edge and didn’t hit anything on the way down (of course you are going to hit the bottom, but you haven’t gotten there yet) what would you think on the way down? If you are more attached to the world and your life than you are to heaven and your eternity, then I think you would think “Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggg!!!!!!!!” and……………………..No, that’s about it.
       So, the weird thinking continued and I wondered, “If we, Christians, are really looking forward to heaven, as we say, shouldn’t we say, on the way down, ‘I didn’t mean for this to happen, but now that it has, I am glad.’” We teach and preach that to “be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord” so wouldn’t we hit the ground and pop into heaven?
       Check this out...I posted this thought on Facebook. Very few people seemed to get it. They did not see my real point. I got some interesting comments, including a claim that my brain was frozen. Why are we afraid to die if we know that we go to heaven? If I were on a train trip and knew that the destination was going to be awesome, I would be excited with anticipation. I would be looking forward to getting there instead of only satisfied with the journey. I want to enjoy the journey, but I am starting to wonder when this ride will be over and God will say that it is time to go home.
       Being from Georgia, I loved to go to Six Flags, when I was young. However, there would always come a time when I had been there too long and was exausted and ready to go home. I would drag myself to the parking lot and long for a bath and my bed. I wanted to get home.
       Are you enjoying the amusment park of life so much that you have no thought of going home?

No comments:

Post a Comment