Sunday, February 27, 2011

"You can't sell Jesus for a dollar"

       Tammy (my wife) and I enjoy a good auction. We have discovered treasures that we can flip on Ebay and make a profit. We have made a purchase at one auction, on Friday, and sold it at another auction, on Saturday, and walked away with a healthy cha-ching in our pocket. So...we are sitting at this auction last night and the most tacky pair of pictures were being sold. They were pictures of Jesus, in gold frames and there was a set of praying hands attached to each frame. They were purchased by a couple who runs a thrift/junk store. I was surprised anyone wanted them, to tell the truth. Later, as we sat behind that couple, another pair of pictures came up for auction. These were also pictures of Jesus. They were less gaudy, but didn't sell. No one would even bid one dollar. I found it a bit humorous, to be honest, and commentted that "you can't by Jesus for a dollar." I sarcasticly asked the couple in front of me "If I buy Jesus' picture, do I get to go to heaven?" I realize that I was being a smart aleck, but  (in my defence) I am talented that way. We all know people who think that writing a check, or working in church, or giving to foreign missions helps them get in.
       I also commented that I find it amusing that pictures of Jesus portray him as a white dude with chesnut hair and blue eyes. He was Jewish, for crying out loud. Not European Jew or Americanized Jew or even Sammy Davis Jr. Jew. Israelis now have European influences, due to the many years of the Diaspora, but he was a middle east Jew. His ancestors were from Iraq. I hope that doesn't come as a surprise to anyone. Abraham was from Ur of the Chaldeans, which is modern day Iraq. I wish I would see a picture of Jesus that shows an acurate portrayal of his earthly appearance. British actors may get the content correct, but they just don't fit the bill in the looks category. And people, please, quit trying to sell me on the Idea that Jesus was an African. I have a hard time believing that he had dreadlocks or braids, like the pictures in the mall kiosks.
       I know..."color is not important." and "he is all things to all people" but, come on, can't we at least try. I picture Jesus as love. I see kindness and warmth, gentleness coupled with strength. As a carpenter, he should have been in good shape, not some wimpy, scrawny guy. I really would like to know what he looked like when he walked through Israel. Which actor would I choose to play the part? Send a casting director to the middle east, why don'tcha?

No comments:

Post a Comment