Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Science Teacher speaks

       I have had to teach my 8th graders about the theory of the history of the Earth, according to some scientists. I teach them that theory means a hypothesis (an educated guess) and not a fact. Someone has an idea of what may be truth and sets out to prove that truth. They gather evidence to support their hypothesis, but until they prove it, it is only a theory. I say "some scientists" because it would be wrong to pile all of them into the same cart. The beliefs of scientist vary as much as any group would. I felt somewhat guilty having to teach them something that I don't believe. My hands are somewhat tied, as a gov't employee. I am limited to what I can say, in the classroom, when it comes to my personal beliefs. That is why I felt the need to write this particular blog entry.
       I don't tell them not to believe what is in the text book. I tell them to learn what others believe, investigate, and determine what they believe. I told my students that they do not have to believe everything they hear, or what is in their text book. They mearly have to understand that the lessons they learn, in science class, are theories that some people believe. I tell them to follow the evidence. "What is important is that you know what you believe and have evidence to back it up. Don't say that you believe something based on someone else's beliefs. Be able to give reasons and a real argument for what you believe. This means that you have to understand what you believe, instead of blindly following what someone tells you. This is true regardless if you are talking about your beliefs in science, religion, politics, your favorie superhero, or your favorite food." They ask me what I believe and I tell them that what I believe is not as important to them as what they believe. I also explained that some things are believed based on faith until you have enough evidence to prove you theory. Faith (not only a religious term) is believing that the next breath I take will contain Oxygen, although I don't see or smell it. It means believing my car will start each time I try to crank it. The theory become fact when the engine starts.
       I believe that to tell them to blindly follow what they hear would be irresponsible of me, as a teacher. I am tasked with opening their minds and teaching them, not  facts, but how to learn. Thus, I teach them what the state descided that I should teach them first, and that is to investigate and decide what the facts tell us about a given problem. No where does the state teaching standards instruct teachers of science to teach our students to become sheep and blindly follow. I want my students to become more than just laborers who follow instructions to complete nominal tasks, I want them to be thinkers and life-long learners.
       What do I find, when I "follow the evidence." There are multiple definitions of evolution. One would be survival of the fittest that results in those animals who can survive and procreate, will. Those who can't, wont. Therefore, those that survive will change the makeup of the entire group; ex. white rabbits have a better chance to surving in a snowy climate , therefore there are more white rabbits procreating, like rabbits.
       I don't believe that people evolved from anything but people. We may have grown taller, through the years, and we have probably gotten fatter (I have), but there is no real evidence that proves that we were ever anything but the people that God created us to be. I reject the neanderthal mentality that points toward the neanderthal. I know that there are many people out there who will reject what I have to say. I have been told that "You would have to be crazy not to believe the evolution argument. Scientist have proven it." Really? How many people have told you that Picaso was a great artist. I have seen lesser know artists that I favor over any of his works. So an artist paints a picture. Someone says that his work is great. Someone else hears that and in the spirit of 'go along to get along' and to keep from looking like an ignorant hillbilly, they repeat what they hear and tell others of the greatness of the artist. Eventually enough people are saying it and who has the intestinal fortitude to go against so many people. After all "That many people can't be wrong", right? The number of people who support something does not make that something valid. For example. how many people thought that the Steelers were the greatest team in the NFL this past season, only to watch Green Bay defeat them in the Super Bowl?
       I believe in the Bible. I don't want to pick and choose the scriptures that I like. I want to celebrate the entire thing, whether it pains me or pleases me. There are things that overlap between the ideas of creation and evolution. I believe that evolutionists could explain more if they would remove the blinders that keep them from viewing creation. I can see the changes that have happened over Earth's history in the light of scripture. Do I believe that creation happened in seven twenty-four hour days? Not particularly. I think that days is as symbolic as days are in Daniel and Revelation. Does it reduce the power and glory of God by seeing creation as happening over hundreds or thousands or even millions of years? Not to me. Given an infinite number of years, I could never create anything out of nothing. Can I believe that there were creatures that roamed the Earth and became extinct before man walked the Earth? Sure I can. Can I believe in Pangea, where all of the continents were one large one and then broke apart? Sure, but I believe that it happened in about a years time. I think a better explaination would be that Noah (of the ark and flood fame) might have lived on Pangea, and when God sent the flood and saved Noah and his family (recorded in Christian, Hebrew and Muslim scriptures) he used the time that Noah was on the Ark (over a year) to break up Pangea and move the continents around (not to mention making the Grand Canyon). Whether Noah landed in his original area is another subject entirely. He was from the area near the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers and when he got off the boat he saw rivers and named them the same rivers. Surely the area, after over a year of flood, erosion, and sedimentation would not look the same, right?
       The Bible refers to people as sheep for a reason. Sheep are followers and not very bright. We follow what we are told without questioning. As a matter of fact, some leaders (in order to control their followers) discourage questioning. This has happened in science classes and churches for years and years. "The church" has been guilty of this throughout the years. After all, what was the inquisition and the tactics that were used against Martin Luther and other reformists all about anyway? Truth, however, will stand up to any amout of critique. A lie does not wish to be questioned, just as ignorance will avoid questions. That is why, I believe, people will state "I don't discuss religion or politics." They don't know enough about what they believe to defend their position and will resort to personal attacks when confronted.
       Should you sit in church and assume that your preacher is right or should you question and investigate? There was a time when "the church" didn't want people to have copies of the Bible for fear they would question the teachings of "the church."  I have heard many preachers make mistakes, from the pulpit. I have made a few myself. We are imperfect. If your is perfect then you have been fooled. Can you give a sensible arguement for what you believe. Many people can give a better arguement for their support of Ford vs Chevy than they can for Christ. It's sad, really.

3 comments:

  1. 1. I thought Noah was in the ark for 40 days and 40 nights? That no where near a year,much less over a year?
    2. The bible says we are all(once we are saved)perfected in Gods blood. I know that we aren't perfect as in we make mistakes, but we are perfected in gods's blood. b/c we were cleansed in his blood
    3. I really like this but I don't see how a flood could cause a huge canyon. much less break apart a continent.
    Love,
    Kensleigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scripture states that it rained for 40 days and nights. Noah was on the arc for over a year. Genesis 7:6 Noah entered the arc 7 days before the rain started. Gen 7:11 Rain and water erupting from the Earth started on the 7th day of the second month. Genesis 8:14(KJV) And in the second month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month, was the earth dried. 15And God spake unto Noah, saying, 16Go forth of the ark, thou, and thy wife, and thy sons, and thy sons' wives with thee.
    Think about it...a year of flooding and erosion can do a bunch of damage. The Grand canyon thing is only a guess. I have no real evidence to support that. I don't follow your 2nd point. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, Kensleigh. I love to discuss the Bible

    ReplyDelete