Thursday, June 30, 2011

What should I look for in a church?

       I have often blogged on the subject of disappointment in what I find to be nominal churches. What I would like to know is "What should I look for in a church?"
       So often people don't seem to comprehend why I have such heartburn and dissatisfaction with what I find in churches. When we discuss the subject, they look at me with this far away, glazed-over look that says "I don't get it. Aren't we supposed to just go to church, have church, and leave church?" So what am I looking for? What should I be looking for? Am I striving to find the "perfect, but non-existant" church? Are there other searchers looking for the same thing? Have most people become so entreched in the status quo of church life that they don't even think to look for more?
       I recently re-read The Time Machine - by H.G. Wells. For those who have not read it, the time traveler travels very far (about 100,000 years) into the future and finds two groups of people; the Eloi and the Morlocks. The Eloi are are simple people. They live in a world that is very much a paradise. Their every need is taken care of. They have lost the ability to think complicated thoughts or do much for themselves. They have evolved into "cattle". (metaphorically and litterally speaking). Their one negative in life is that ever-so-often one of them is snatched by the Morlock, who drags them down into the Morlock caves and eats them.
       I have a friend who thinks his church is wonderful (I am glad for him), but if you read my post http://whatsupwithchristianity.blogspot.com/2011/06/check-out-email-i-received.html , it is his church that I refered to.
       So I am putting this question out there, and I want your input, please. What should a church be? How do I know when I have found the right one. What should I expect from it's pastor, it's congregation, etc?
       We will be visiting a local church, for the second time, this Sunday Morning. Read http://whatsupwithchristianity.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-were-they-thinking.html to find out about our first visit to this church.

1 comment:

  1. The second visit was worse than the first. It was brutal. This past Sunday, we visited another church, River of Life Church of God. Awesome. Went back Sunday night. Fantastic. Going back this coming Sunday.

    ReplyDelete