Saturday, June 18, 2011

Why are we taught to be satisfied?

       I recently moved to a small town. I really like it and the friendliness of the people there. This quaint little town has 7 or 8 places to grab a bite. Two of them are national chains. Although all of them have their good points, none are what I would call wonderful. Although I like a good burger, I prefer a fine steak. I am not one who eats at the same place all the time. I don't even like to go to the same place, each time, for vacation. I know folks who go to Myrtle Beach or Panama City Beach every time they go on vacation. That would drive me bonkers. "Been there...seen it!" Right? Or how about people who frequent the same restaurant time after time and oppose trying anything new.
       I wonder if these people are the same folks who sit in the same spot every Sunday and become agitated if someone sits in "their" spot. (ADD moment...want to test someones Christian attitude? Sit in their spot next Sunday and see what happens.)
       I have wondered if people are so accustomed to what they have, they become satisfied and deny themselves the pleasure of better. I see this in restaurants as well as church. I know that some people will say that I should be happy with what God has given me, and I am, but I am never satisfied. It is not greed that drives me. I don't say "God has given me a car, but I want a better one." I am happy with what he supplies for me. And My! He has blessed me! But, when it comes to church...that's a different kettle of fish. I can't find where scripture ever tells us to be satisfied with the number in our congregation, or the quality of our service. I do realize that when we read scripture, God shows us what we need at a particular time in our lives. But I never seem to see scripture saying that we should stagnate.
       As a teacher, I try to move my students forward. As a lifelong learner, I try to constantly move forward in my education. So why would I not try to move forward in my knowledge of God and his word. Why do we settle for the milk toast sermons of so many pastors instead of desiring an educational/enlightening experience?
       What do I want? What am I looking for? I want a pastor who is educated enough to challenge me. Who is secure enough not to be intimidated by fellow laborers who he sees as a threat to his power or authority. I want a worship leader who tries to give his best to God each time he steps into leadership. Who establishes a high degree of excellence. (Why not get the band and singers together for a practice each week? Is God not worth our giving him more than a thrown together Hodge-podge mess?) I desire a teacher who studies and presents more than a recitation of another person's teaching. (Don't read a lesson to me. I could have stayed home and done that. Study that thing and let God speak to you through it. Then come and share that with us as we do the same with you. Be a facilitator instead of merely reading a lesson from a booklet.) I am seeking a congregation desirous of true praise, worship, service, and spiritual growth. (It is not the worship leader's job to get you into praise and worship...come to service ready. It is not the preacher's job to revive you...get yourself revived and bring revival to the church. An evangelist does not bring revival, the church does...or at least should.) I wish to find a church that is not only friendly to newcomers, but to those who have been around a while. (If I attend your church for over a year and play in the band for over a year and you don't care what happens to me, when I leave, enough to contact me...)
       Here's another rant for you to chew on. Near my home there is a church. This church has no sign, no visible name, no visible phone number, no visible service times...nothing. How do they expect to reach people other than the merely nosey?
       Side note: I am so, so very bad...After visiting one particular church three times in two months (that's 3 out of 8 Sunday morning services) I saw the pastor in Wal-mart. I walked over and this is the conversation:
Me: Aren't you the pastor of ________church?
Pastor: Yes I am (noticable pleasure at peing recognized)
Me: Do you know who I am?
Pastor: No, I'm sorry, I don't.
Me: Well, that's a shame, because I visited your church 3 times in the last few weeks. I was never asked my name or even handed a visitor's card.
I walked away as he stood there with a stunned look on his face. You will probably say that I was wrong, or rude, or mean but maybe he will realize that people matter, next time he enters the church and wonders why it exists in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. Although a pastor has to consider things deeper than a simply understanding of the material I never understood why no one ever questions the qualifications of a pastor as they would a college professor? Not NECESSARILY the education because perhaps you come across a world-traveled, self taught, experience driven individual that only graduated high school. To me the means of gaining that knowledge doesn't particularly matter but would anyone accept a professor with poor grammar or an ignorance of the world around him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep yep and yep and yes you were bad to that poor pastor... you should go back and see if he remembers you next time Mike..

    ReplyDelete